In little more than a decade or so, mobile phone ownership has grown to the point where almost everyone has one. There are billions of devices all around the world, but how much do you know about it? Here are some surprising facts.
- If you have ever had the chance to own a Nokia 1100, then you should be bragging about it. It was the bestselling electrical gadget in history with more than 250 million pieces sold.
- The first mobile phone produced in the USA in 1983, was worth $4000.
- In 2012 Apple sold around 340,000 iPhones every day, which are approximately 4 iPhones per second!
- Your mobile phone has 18 times more bacteria than toilet handles, be careful!
- 90% of mobile phones in Japan are waterproof.
- Headaches, insomnia and confusion happen because of mobile phones. Experts have identified ringxiety (imagining your phone’s ringing or vibrating), nomophobia (no mobile phone phobia), telephonophobia (the fear of phone calls) and frigensophobia (fear that your phone is damaging your brain) as conditions that can affect people.
- As weird as it may sound, some scientists claim that they have developed some kind of way to charge your phone with urine.
- Hacker Kevin Mitnick, Dubbed the “most dangerous hacker in the world,” spent eight months of his prison sentence in solitary confinement because law enforcement officials convinced a judge that he could start a nuclear war by whistling into a pay phone. He listened in on FBI phone calls during the three years he evaded the FBI, left them doughnuts when he narrowly escaped raids and was chased down by a helicopter
- Martin Cooper had the honor of making the first mobile call in 1973.
- The mobile phones we have today have much more computing power than the computers that were used for the Apollo to land on the moon.
- More than 100,000 mobile phones are dropped down in the toilet on annual basis in Britain.
- 70% of mobile phones are manufactured in China.
- More than 80% of the world’s population has a mobile phone.
- More than 90% of adults have their mobile phones within their reach all the time, even during their bedtime.
- More than 4 billion people own mobile phones, while only 3.5 billion use a toothbrush.
- Within three minutes of delivery, 90% of text messages are read.
- The highest mobile bill ever was £142,000 by Celina Aarons.
- Mobile phone industry is the fastest growing industry in the world.
- There are more cell phones in South Africa than there are taxis, TVs and radios combined!
- The average person unlocks their phone 110 times every day.
- The word ‘cell phone’ comes from the way the device operates. Towers serve areas with signal and are divided up into cells. Each cell connects with the next and ensures a seamless connection. The first use of the word ‘cell phone’ was in 1984.
- The first cell phone was developed at a time when there wasn’t even a cordless phone for the home. It weighed 1kg!
- Apple co-founder, Steve Wozniak was the first owner of the phone number 888-888-8888, but it proved unusable as he was receiving over 100 wrong numbers a day, mostly from babies playing with the phone.
- Nokia is developing a method of harvesting radio-waves, which would recharge your phone while it’s on standby.
- According to Mobiwoz.com the number of mobile apps is infinite! Check them!
Author Bio: Usman Hassan is a digital marketing psychopath, who is passionate about Inbound marketing, SEO, CRO, Email marketing and Ecommerce. He is a writer at Mobiwoz and a casual Electrical Engineer.
This post is by a guest writer and may not reflect the views of RAWinfopages. To post your own articles on this website, get a writer's account.