The security problem
When using the internet you face security threats like:
- Viruses - malicious programs that spread from computer to computer
- Trojans - programs that download other malware
- Spyware - programs that send out your personal information
- Phishing - emails that trick you into clicking links, revealing login details for online services you use
- Scams - similar to phishing, they trick you into doing something
- Fake websites - they look like the real thing, but just want your login details, money and personal information
- Hackers - people and programs that try to gain access to your computer to steal information.
- Ransomware - malicious programs that encrypt your files and possibly even lock your computer, then demand payment to decrypt them or unlock your computer.
- Adware - displays adverts everywhere it can, slowing down the computer, getting in the way and being a nuisance
How do I stay safe?
Staying safe and keeping out hackers and malware is partly knowing how to configure Windows 10's security features. It is also partly learning how to spot the dangers and knowing how avoid them.
The Windows 10 Security Guide shows how to use Windows Defender and Windows Firewall to protect your PC from threats.
The guide also shows how to spot fake emails, phishing, bad downloads and more. You will learn how to avoid the worst of the internet.
Some people might need additional protection and third party security software is available. The course looks at why you might want to replace Windows built in security with free or paid security software.
What you will learn
Part 1: Protect your PC with Windows Defender
- Introduction to Windows Defender and PC security
- How to check if Windows Defender is running, turn it on/off
- How to keep Windows Defender up to date
- How to scan the PC for malware to ensure it is clean
- How to deal with malware and manage the history
Part 2: Protect your PC with Windows firewall
- Introduction - what is a firewall and why do you need it?
- Check Windows Firewall status and turn it on/off
- How to block or allow programs and advanced settings
Part 3: Increase your privacy
- Introduction to privacy issues and privacy utilities
- Privacy settings - Review app permissions, block bad apps
- How General privacy settings affect you
Part 4: Email security and phishing
- Introduction to email security - what you need to know
- How to deal with bad email attachments - a worked example
- What is phishing? How to spot and avoid phishing emails
Part 5: Third party security software
- Introduction - Do you need third party security software?
- Free vs paid security software - The pros and cons
- Real-time protection and clean-up tools
- Third party firewalls - What they can do for you
Part 6: Web browser security
- Introduction to web browser security
- Browse the web with Edge
- The dangers of extensions, add-ons and plugins
- Clean Internet Explorer and remove adware/malware
Part 7: More security issues
- Use SmartScreen in Edge, Internet Explorer, Windows
- Action points - Quick summary of everything you need to know
There’s more! Check out the bonuses!
How does it work?
- Pay using PayPal at the PayPal website
- We will create a member account for you
- We then email your login details
- Visit RAW Guides and log in.
You can log in and access this course and all the others any time you want. Work at your own pace, return at any time and continue the course. Take another course any time you want.
Security information: Payments are taken at the PayPal website where it is safe and secure. No financial information is stored here. Your member details are sent to the email you use for PayPal.