You might be sharing your system with family or office colleagues or some avid users get permission to use your system. In this situation, you always feel like worried for your important and personal files and folders which you don’t want to be touched by anyone.
To deal with this situation, you can follow certain steps to hide your important files and folders. Let’s discuss some of these steps here.
You can use this inbuilt option on your Windows system to hide folders from other users. To do this first you need to tweak your system settings so that it doesn’t display hidden files and folders. To begin with, follow these steps.
- Open Windows Explorer and open any folder.
- Press Alt to show the menu then go to Tools > Folder options and switch to the View tab.
- Under Files and Folders find Hidden files and folders option and select Don’t show hidden files, folders or drives.
- Click OK and proceed to hide a folder.
Once you have tweaked the settings of your system next is to hide a folder. To do this follow these steps.
- Right-click on the folder that you want to hide and choose Properties.
- Under Properties go to General tab and look for Hidden option and select it.
- Go to Advanced tab and change archive and index attributes.
- Click OK to save changes.
Whenever you want to access these folders or files, go through the folder options to make hidden folders visible.
Make folders Invisible
Apart from hiding your folders, you can also make them invisible. Making your folders invisible is different from hiding them. Using this option, you need not go to folder options to unhide them.
While using invisible folder option someone may access your invisible folders accidentally. To make your folders invisible you need to follow a two-step procedure.
In the first step, you need to remove the folder name. To do this, follow these steps.
- Select the Folder you want to remove the name of and press F2.
- Then hold the ALT key while typing numbers 0160 using the keyboard.
- Hit Enter and the folder name will disappear.
In the second step, you need to make the folder icon invisible. To do this, follow these steps.
- Select the folder, right-click on it and choose Properties.
- Now switch to the Customize tab and click on the Change icon button.
- Find a blank icon from several options and click OK to save changes.
Hiding files in Windows system is pretty easy. To do this, follow these quick steps.
- Select the files or folder you wish to hide.
- Right-click on it and select Properties.
- Click on the General tab.
- Click on the checkbox next to Hidden option in the Attributes section.
- Click Apply to save changes.
You can follow these simple steps to hide files and folders on your Windows 7 system. Following these steps, you can keep your data safe from onlookers and other users.
In fact, this is considered to be one of the safest ways to keep your data security intact. Alternatively, you can use a lock and hide folder utilities for instant results.
Summary: Keeping your personal or important files hidden on your system is a serious task you need to perform. To do this you can follow certain steps to utilize certain inbuilt options On Windows. Let’s discuss some of these options here.
Author bio: Yogesh Sharma is working as an SEO personnel and technical content writer for Systweak. He likes to talk about various threats to cybersecurity and cybercrime awareness in his blogs. Read Here: http://blogs.systweak.com/